Job Opportunity – Bar Supervisor!
Social Convention is seeking a Bar Supervisor for 3 – 5 shifts a week at our new café bar, venue, and culture lab in the heart of Canning Town. Social Convention is a place for the creative and the curious, the moment-makers and the party-starters. Founders Cimeon Ellerton-Kay and Natalie V Hall have created this space to help creatives find the missing piece, organisations to take the next step, audiences to discover new art and performance, and everyone to have a bloody good time.
We are looking for an outgoing, truly customer service-oriented individual to act as a supervisor and keyholder for our bar and venue. We are looking for experienced bartenders or candidates with cafe, bar, or events experience – someone who can scan the room to anticipate needs, and think quickly whilst ensuring an exceptional welcome to everyone who joins us. Candidates should also have a fluent level of both written and spoken English and good numeracy skills. The role requires an individual with the ability to lead the regular event service, supervise the operation for health and safety, and run the venue’s bar as effectively as possible on shift. We are however able to train great candidates who might not have all the relevant experience – particularly candidates who are Newham locals, practicing creatives, Global Majority, LGBTQIA+, Working Class, or have lived experience of exclusion or discrimination.
- Running of the bar throughout service hours, including full opening and closing procedures
- Taking stock deliveries, restocking the bar, changing kegs, and flagging low stock items
- Responsibility for ensuring bar cleanliness, bar maintenance, safety standards and ensuring all legal and licensing requirements are met
- Liaising with private hire clients, artists, and promoters during their events to meet their needs
- Helping to ensure all other areas of the bar and venue are kept in a good, clean condition and reporting any maintenance or operational issues
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends
BENEFITS & ROLE INFO:
- Starting at £12/hr with a share of service charges split between staff, to progress to £14 + service charge split following completion of training
- Lockable staff spaces and private staff loo
- Shift meal and staff discounts
- Queer & Female-owned business, all your identities are welcome here
- Great role for creatives and arts workers as we have production / performance space on site, arts business skills courses & producer-mentors to support your career growth, plus opportunities to launch and programme your own work and events.
- Newham and East-London based candidates will be considered first!
HOW TO APPLY: email us with your CV or your work experience and a little bit about you to email@example.com with the subject line BAR SUPERVISOR
N.B. Candidates who currently have a valid work permit allowing them to work in the UK for the duration of this contract are welcome to apply. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider applications for this role which would require us to obtain a certificate of sponsorship or permit to work in the UK.